86 dioceses fully back Nov. 30 rally vs corrupt
A total of 86 Roman Catholic dioceses nationwide have issued a “very strong call for truth, accountability and true transparency” as they expressed their support for the Trillion Peso March rally against corruption and political dynasties to be held at the Edsa People Power Monument on Nov. 30.
“We remain united. The fight continues,” Caritas Philippines, the humanitarian, development and advocacy arm of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, wrote in a Facebook post.
“We are united behind one single call: Expose the criminals. Return the people’s money. Jail the corrupt. So that the Filipino people will win,” Caritas said.
The Nov. 30 protest organized by the Trillion Peso March Movement (TPMM)—which is composed of religious and multisectoral groups—is the second major anticorruption rally to be held by the coalition since the Trillion Peso March held at the same location on Sept. 21.
Show of solidarity
The rallies were prompted by the finding that billions of pesos of taxpayers’ money meant for the government infrastructure program, mostly flood control projects, had been lost to corruption over the past years. This has resulted in the filing of cases against some lawmakers and Department of Public Works and Highways officials.
Some of the dioceses that had expressed their support for the Nov. 30 rally were the following in Luzon: Caceres, Libmanan, Daet, Malolos, Imus, Lucena, Iba, Antipolo, Virac, Balanga, Ilagan, Alaminos, Legazpi, Cabanatuan, Baguio, Laoag and Tarlac, among others.
In the Visayas and Mindanao, the following dioceses had made the same expression of support: Bacolod, Naval, Calbayog, San Jose de Antique, Capiz, San Carlos, Dumaguete, Borongan, Kalibo, Tagbilaran, Romblon, Butuan, Tandag, Marbel, Davao, Pagadian, Malaybalay, Mati and Digos.
Bishops Crispin Varquez of the Diocese of Borongan in Eastern Samar and Nolly Buco of the Diocese of Catarman in Northern Samar released separate pastoral messages on Saturday, urging Catholics to show solidarity with protesters in Metro Manila and other major cities.
They also encouraged parishes, schools, and Catholic communities in their respective dioceses to organize prayer gatherings and symbolic actions on Nov. 30 as part of a broader call for moral renewal and good governance.
At the same time, both bishops urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified claims and to practice fairness, transparency and accountability in both private and public life.
“Even though we are far from Manila, we express our oneness with them by wearing white clothes and attending Mass this Sunday,” Varquez said, describing the initiative as a “peaceful and prayerful protest” against corruption.
For his part, Buco encouraged Catholics to confront what he called the “deep wounds” inflicted by corruption and the rising “sins of falsehood against one’s neighbor,” often worsened by irresponsible use of social media.
DILG assurance
Buco stressed that corruption—whether through bribery, embezzlement, misuse of public funds or abuse of authority—“erodes trust in institutions and deprives communities of what rightfully belongs to them.”
In a statement on Saturday, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said it is fully prepared to ensure the safe and orderly conduct of the Trillion Peso March on Nov. 30, emphasizing the protection of citizens and respect for their right to peaceful assembly.
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the government’s approach is guided by the mandate to safeguard public safety while respecting democratic freedoms.
“Our mandate remains clear: protect every life, respect every voice, and uphold the rule of law at all times,” he said in a statement.
The DILG urged all participants to exercise their rights responsibly, follow lawful instructions from authorities and contribute to an orderly and secure event.
The Philippine National Police said on Friday that it has placed all units on full alert ahead of the rally, ensuring maximum availability of personnel and resources.
The PNP will deploy around 15,000 personnel across Metro Manila, including 8,800 from the National Capital Region Police Office and 6,200 from its Special Action Force and regional units.
Key deployment areas include Rizal Park, People Power Monument, Edsa Shrine, Malacañang, the House of Representatives, Senate and the Independent Commission for Infrastructure office in Taguig
Program of activities
The TPMM, in a Facebook post, said the gathering would be held from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., with the program proper starting at 9 a.m. with a labor pledge against corruption.
A Holy Mass will be celebrated from 9:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. It will be led by Bishop Elias Lumayog Ayuban Jr. and concelebrated with Cardinal Pablo “Ambo” David.
Messages of hope and protests will be delivered from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. by David and political and sectoral leaders, followed by performances by invited artists, including Ben & Ben.
More performances and solidarity messages will follow until 6 p.m. —WITH A REPORT FROM GABRYELLE DUMALAG

