Palace not accepting apologies over fake Marcos medical report
Malacañang said it would not accept apologies or excuses from persons who recently spread online a fake hospital report on President Marcos’ medical condition, including a vlogger who owned up to the deed when he appeared before investigators on Wednesday.
“The law must be enforced. Those who violate the law must be held accountable,” Palace press officer Claire Castro said. “Creating content online should not be taken as a joke, especially when it can affect not only the person who made the subject of the content but also the public as a whole since communities may be exposed to fake news.”
The Palace official issued the statement after vlogger and social media personality Jack Argota appeared before the National Bureau of Investigation, where he faces a complaint for cyberlibel initiated by the bureau itself.
Speaking to reporters after meeting with NBI officials, Argota said he merely reposted the image of the supposed medical report from other social media pages “just to ride the trend and boost engagement.”
Sonza, Celiz
He said he thought the document was “legit” because many others had posted it online.
The NBI has also filed a cyberlibel complaints against former broadcaster Jay Sonza and another vlogger, Jeffrey Luces Celiz, also for spreading content based on the fake medical record.
The spurious document surfaced online shortly after President Marcos disclosed on Jan. 22 that he had been diagnosed with diverticulitis, a common intestinal condition.
St. Luke’s Medical Center, whose logo appeared on the posted document, denied its accuracy and authenticity.
******
Get real-time news updates: inqnews.net/inqviber





