Oh, Philippines, the spectacle that you are
Would you believe it’s been almost half a year since the whole flood control issue came to light? Instead, like clockwork, unnecessary political drama is once again taking precedence over the real problems we should be paying attention to.
At the center of this latest political circus is Vice President Sara Duterte, who recently declared her candidacy for the 2028 presidential elections—an announcement that coincides with the resumption of her impeachment proceedings.
With complaints being filed as early as 2024 due to Duterte’s alleged misuse of confidential funds, impeachment proceedings screeched to a halt after the Supreme Court stepped in, deeming it unconstitutional. Hence, while the court didn’t absolve the vice president from the charges against her, they barred any additional impeachment complaints from being filed against her until Feb. 6, 2026—this is rationalized by Article XI, Section 3(5) of the 1987 Constitution, which prohibits having more than one impeachment proceeding against the same official per year.
Since the ban was lifted, four impeachment complaints have already been sent Duterte’s way. Among the allegations are her failure to disclose her assets in her Statements of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALNs)—in addition to accusations of betrayal of public trust, graft and corruption, and bribery.
Let the games begin
On the same day the fourth impeachment complaint was filed, Duterte held a press briefing where she officially declared her 2028 presidential bid.
“Sa unang mga buwan ng aming mga termino, nakita ko na ang kawalan ng katapatan ni Bongbong Marcos Jr. sa mga pangakong binitawan noong kampanya,” said the vice president, without mincing words.
“Mga kabababayan, humihingi ako ng paumanhin, patawad kung tinulungan ko mahalal si BBM bilang pangulo ng ating bansa,” she added.
Interestingly, on top of the criticism being lobbed against Duterte as early as 2023 due to her use of confidential funds, the vice president declined to defend her 2025 budget before the House of Representatives’ appropriations committee—she went as far as to say that the national budget is controlled by ex-congressman Zaldy Co and former speaker of the house Martin Romualdez, claiming the fruitlessness of defending the budget.
“Dahil hindi ko kinaya na maging bahagi ng 2025 national budget, na tadtad ng katiwalian, pinili kong umalis sa gabinete, kahit alam ko na, mula pa noong 2023, na ang magiging kapalit ay ang aking impeachment,” also said Duterte in her Feb. 18 press briefing.
Given how the flood control fiasco has developed so far, it wouldn’t be preposterous to say that Duterte’s early claims have truth to them. But when criticism against her pertains to her use of confidential funds in a government agency that has no use or rationale for having such a budget allotment—two things can be right at the same time, and there aren’t any sides to this. They’re all suspect to the betrayal of public trust, and it’s now an ugly race of who can make the other’s mess more obvious.
A marriage of convenience
Since Duterte’s surprise announcement, reception has been varied. Tandems such as Duterte-Imee Marcos and Duterte-Robin Padilla have been floated, while President Marcos Jr. gave the vice president a simple but telling “good luck.”
Either way, for 2026 to have just started, announcing a presidential candidacy at this stage is simply too early—and for observers and other public officials, it’s a smart but desperate attempt to curb accountability.
While her bid for the 2028 presidential elections won’t, on paper, remove her from having to face any and future impeachment proceedings, it will tell a different story politically. Because she has moved first and established herself as the early frontrunner for the position, any criticism or charge against her can be written off as a political attack, even if these allegations are backed by evidence—at least to the general public.
Time will only tell if Duterte’s early move will, in fact, have any effect on her impeachment. But if anything, for the voter already looking ahead to 2028, it’s telling that a presidential candidate would use the highest seat in the country as a shield from scrutiny.
Looking back, upon splitting from the ”uniteam” tandem, Duterte called her temporary partnership with Marcos Jr. a “marriage of convenience.” In that case, will any support that could grant her the presidency all be simply a “convenience” to her? Let’s not forget, public trust is not convenience; it’s a responsibility.

