Now Reading
AFP chief eyes more’deterrent’ weapons
Dark Light

AFP chief eyes more’deterrent’ weapons

Avatar

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. said the military would procure more missile systems, warships, and fighter jets to boost the country’s deterence force.

In a statement on Saturday, the AFP said the move would develop both capability and deterrence of the military and would “significantly ramp up its modernization efforts.”

“We are looking at acquiring more missile systems,” Brawner said at the Raisina Dialogue, an annual conference in India last month.

“Alongside this, we will be purchasing more warships and multi-role fighter jets to build a strong and reliable deterrent force,” he added.

He did not give a timeline for the acquisition plan or how many of these assets the Philippines would want to acquire.

Brawner underscored the importance of strategic partnerships, particularly with India, citing the successful defense collaboration with the Philippines’ acquisition of the BrahMos missile system.

CONTRIBUTED PHOTOS

Fastest anti-ship missile

In April 2024, the first batch of BrahMos cruise missiles from India arrived in the Philippines, making the country the third Southeast Asian nation to acquire the world’s fastest supersonic anti-ship missile system.

“India is a vital partner. Beyond procurement, we are looking into joint manufacturing, technology transfer, and local production in the Philippines to support our growing defense industry,” Brawner said.

In February, Brawner said the Philippines was looking to expand its funding sources for the military’s modernization program as he admitted the budget of the national government was not enough to fund the country’s defense capability upgrades.

“So, we are looking into local and foreign financing,” he said.

“And then we’re looking also at foreign financing. In fact, we have had some offers already,” he added.

P35-B budget for AFP

Under the 2025 budget, the AFP received from Congress P35 billion for its revised modernization program, but it is P15 billion lower than the P50 billion initially sought by the Marcos administration..

In 2024, the revised AFP Modernization Program got an allocation of P40 billion.

Last year, the President approved the military’s revised wish list for new weaponry and equipment under the updated acquisition plan called “Re-Horizon 3,” the last stage in the AFP modernization program.

The revised procurement plan would have a timeline of 10 years and is expected to cost about P2 trillion.

See Also

A list of equipment under the updated acquisition plan was not readily available, but multirole fighters, radars, frigates, missile systems and rescue helicopters were included in the original Horizon 3.

On April 1, the US announced the “possible foreign military sale” of 20 F-16 jets and other military assets worth $5.58 (P318 billion) to its ally, the Philippines.

Another asset is added to the military’s defense capability as the first missile corvette for the Philippine Navy, the BRP Miguel Malvar, arrived in the country on Friday.

The Miguel Malvar, named after a Philippine revolutionary hero, is equipped with anti-ship, anti-submarine, and anti-aircraft capabilities.

It is part of a P28-billion contract bagged by South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries in 2021 through the Philippine Navy’s Corvette Acquisition Program.

The second missile corvette for the Philippine Navy, the 3,200-ton BRP Diego Silang, was also launched on March 27. It is expected to be delivered in the country by September this year.

On Saturday, the AFP reaffirmed its dedication to defending Philippine sovereignty and contributing to regional stability.

Have problems with your subscription? Contact us via
Email: plus@inquirer.com.ph, subscription@inquirer.com.ph
Landine: (02) 8896-6000
SMS/Viber: 0908-8966000, 0919-0838000

© The Philippine Daily Inquirer, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top