PEACE PATH Combatants of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front gather inside Camp Darapanan, the group’s main headquarters in Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao del Norte. The National Amnesty Commission has called on former rebels to apply for government amnesty before the March deadlines. —BONG S. SARMIENTO
KORONADAL CITY—The National Amnesty Commission (NAC) has urged former rebels to apply for government amnesty as deadlines approach, with fewer than 1,000 of an estimated 40,000 Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) members having filed applications so far.
Jamar Kulayan, NAC commissioner for Mindanao, said only 991 MILF members had applied as of Feb. 13, ahead of the March 4 deadline for the MILF, Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) and Rebolusyonaryong Partido ng Manggagawa ng Pilipinas-Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade (RPM-P/RPA-ABB).
The deadline for the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF) is March 13.
“If they are granted amnesty, their civil and political rights are restored,” Kulayan said.
NAC data showed that 7,379 applications have been received nationwide—5,884 from the CPP–NPA–NDF; 991 from the MILF; 412 from the MNLF; and 92 from the RPM-P/RPA-ABB.
Sixteen applicants, including one MILF member, have so far been granted amnesty by President Marcos, who has the sole authority to approve applications.
NPA members
In Samar, about 940 former NPA members have applied through the Local Amnesty Board (LAB) in Catbalogan City, with at least 400 more expected before the March 13 deadline, according to LAB head Jazmine Odyssa Lutao.
She said all case folders have been forwarded to the NAC for review.
The amnesty program, anchored on presidential proclamations issued in November 2024, covers rebellion and related offenses committed in pursuit of political beliefs.
Qualified applicants may have pending criminal cases dropped and gain access to reintegration support, including livelihood, health and psychosocial assistance.