China warns of ‘consequences’ over Taiwan minister’s visit to PH

China has threatened the Philippines with severe consequences after it accused the latter of reneging on the One China policy for purportedly allowing a Taiwanese diplomat into the country.
At a press conference on Friday, a transcript of which was provided by the Chinese Embassy in Manila, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun urged Manila to “stop sending wrong signals to Taiwan independence’ separatists.”
His warning follows reports that Taiwanese Foreign Minister Lin Chia-lung came to the Philippines this week with a business contingent led by the US-Taiwan Business Council.
“The Philippines, by letting Lin Chia-lung visit the country as a so-called head of a foundation, has provided a platform for ‘Taiwan independence’ separatists to engage in anti-China activities, and has severely violated the basic norms in international relations and the Philippines’ own commitment on Taiwan-related issues,” Guo said.
1975 communique
“There is a price to pay for trampling on China’s red line, and all consequences arising therefrom will be borne by the Philippines,” he added.
Guo urged Manila to abide by the One China policy and the 1975 joint communique that established the two nations’ agreement that there is only one Chinese government and that Taiwan is part of it.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) earlier clarified that no Taiwanese official was “recognized as a member of the business delegation that recently visited the Philippines.”
It declined to further comment on the matter and merely reiterated the country’s pledge to the One China policy as well as the 1975 agreement, which laid the groundwork for the diplomatic relations between Beijing and Manila.
Breach
The 50-year-old pact, however, also expects that China recognize the independence and sovereignty of the Philippines and to “respect each other’s territorial integrity.”
In January last year, Beijing expressed displeasure at President Marcos’ remark congratulating Taiwan on the conduct of its elections, saying it was a “grave violation” of the agreement and a “breach of the Philippines’ political commitment to China.”
At the time, Commodore Jay Tarriela, the Philippine Coast Guard’s spokesperson for the West Philippine Sea, chimed in on the issue and reminded Chinese officials about the other provisions of the 1975 communique, specifically on the two governments agreeing to settle all disputes by “peaceful means” and without the use of threat or force.
“I wonder whether this particular provision still matter[s] and [has] not yet forgotten by the [People’s Republic of China],” Tarriela said.
Philippine-Chinese relations have been strained by Beijing’s refusal to recognize the 2016 arbitral ruling nullifying its sweeping claims over the South China, including the West Philippine Sea that is well within the country’s 370-kilometer exclusive economic zone.