Now Reading
DepEd: Proposed school trimester system still under review
Dark Light

DepEd: Proposed school trimester system still under review

The Department of Education (DepEd) clarified on Tuesday that the proposed shift to a trimester system remains under study amid concerns raised by lawmakers, teachers and other education stakeholders.

“The trimester system remains a proposal, and no final decision has been made,” the DepEd said, referring to Education Secretary Sonny Angara’s suggestion to reduce the current four-grading periods to just three per school year.

“We are pushing this so that there will be longer, uninterrupted periods of learning, better pacing of lessons, and a lower administrative burden for our teachers. In this way, we are safeguarding the quality of education,” Angara said in a statement on Feb. 13 when he made the proposal.

According to him, the new setup would address some of the recommendations made by the Second Congressional Commission on Education.

In a subsequent message to the Inquirer, Angara said the proposal will cover all public schools in all levels nationwide, while private schools “can do their own schedule.”

“[This is to give] more time for continuous and deep learning [and] time also for assessments and training of teachers,” he said.

Lawmakers and teachers’ organizations, however, warned about implementing the proposal without thorough research, which Malacañang agreed with, saying it would be better to conduct more consultations and studies first.

Consultations needed

The DepEd reassured the public on Tuesday that it takes feedback seriously, noting that structural reforms and long-standing issues in the country such as classroom shortages and teacher welfare “are not mutually exclusive.”

It added that the trimester system remains under study and is still subject for review.

“DepEd is actively conducting consultations and will continue engaging education officials and stakeholders in the coming days to ensure that all voices are heard and considered,” it said.

It further said that it remains committed to refining the proposal based on feedback from the field. “Our priority is that any reform must strengthen learning continuity while improving conditions for both learners and educators,” the DepEd stressed.

In presenting his proposal, Angara said the trimester calendar is being considered for implementation starting school year 2026 to 2027. It will consist of 201 school days distributed across the three terms, each providing longer uninterrupted teaching periods and allowing better pacing of lessons.

See Also

Better learning conditions

According to him, scheduled breaks between terms will also provide teachers with time for planning, assessment and professional tasks, helping improve overall instructional delivery.

Classes will open in early June, with the first trimester running from June to September and followed by the second trimester from September to December. The third trimester will be from January until late March.

The Alliance of Concerned Teachers (ACT), however, was skeptical, saying the change could actually “add to the burden” of teachers.

ACT chair Ruby Bernardo said last week that a trimestral system would force teachers to cram lessons intended for four periods into just three.

According to her, “the pacing would be fast, and of course this will be stressful for both learners and teachers.” —WITH A REPORT FROM DEMPSEY REYES 

Have problems with your subscription? Contact us via
Email: plus@inquirer.net, subscription@inquirer.net
Landline: (02) 8896-6000
SMS/Viber: 0908-8966000, 0919-0838000

© 2025 Inquirer Interactive, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top