Filipinos in Jakarta told to stay indoors amid violent protests

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Saturday advised Filipinos in Jakarta to remain indoors and avoid large crowds as violent protests continue across Indonesia.
“Filipinos currently in Jakarta should exercise caution and vigilance for safety, and avoid large crowds that may put themselves in danger,” the DFA said in a statement.
The Philippine Embassy in Jakarta said the capital remains relatively safe but added it is closely monitoring developments and will issue further guidance as needed.
Any Filipino affected by the protests may reach the Philippine Embassy’s Assistance-to-Nationals number via WA +62811887334.
Almost 10 times basic pay
Nationwide protests erupted last Monday over monthly housing allowances of 50 million rupiah ($3,075) each for the country’s 580 lawmakers.
The subsidy, which was introduced last year, is almost 10 times the minimum wage in the capital of Jakarta.
Tensions escalated on Thursday after a video circulated showing a motorcycle delivery driver being run over by an armored police vehicle.
On Friday, at least three people were killed while five were injured in a fire blamed on protesters at a parliament building in eastern Indonesia.
‘Doing our best’
Antara news agency reported protests on Saturday in the cities of Bandung, Yogyakarta, Solo, Surabaya and Makassar.
President Prabowo Subianto on Friday urged citizens to remain calm and trust his government to address their grievances.
“We are committed to doing our best for the people,” Prabowo said in a statement issued by the Presidential Secretariat’s Bureau of Press, Media and Information.
‘Continue monitoring’
The unrest in Indonesia is clouding plans for Prabowo to visit Japan, with Japanese government sources saying the two nations had been working out details for a trip in early September.
Prabowo, who was sworn in as president in October last year, was invited by Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba to visit Japan later this year.
But a presidential spokesperson was quoted by Reuters as saying Prabowo “wants to continue monitoring” the situation in Indonesia. —REPORTS FROM PNA AND KYODO