Lookout order issued vs Atong, Gretchen, others in ‘sabungeros’ case

The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Friday said an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (Ilbo) had been issued against the suspects in the case of the missing “sabungeros,” or cockfighting aficionados—among them gambling tycoon Atong Ang and his former girlfriend, actress Gretchen Barretto.
Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said the Ilbo was issued against persons identified by whistleblower Julie Patidongan, who had earlier tagged Ang, his former boss, as the mastermind of the disappearances.
“We have a lookout bulletin on all concerned—the ones mentioned by Patidongan. It’s already there,” Remulla said at a press briefing.
Patidongan earlier made the claim that the missing sabungeros were killed for allegedly engaging in match fixing and that their remains were dumped in Taal Lake in Batangas.
Earlier this month, a complaint for multiple murder and serious illegal detention was filed by the missing persons’ families against Ang, several police officers and members of his inner circle.
The bureau defines an Ilbo as an order from the DOJ instructing immigration officers to closely monitor the travel of subject individuals.
‘Danger’
Asked whether the DOJ was aware if all the suspects were still in the country, Remulla said one of them had reportedly left already.
Meanwhile, Prosecutor General Richard Fadullon said the preliminary investigation is set to begin, with over 60 respondents expected to receive subpoenas next week.
Fadullon said prosecutors would still assess whether there is already a need to apply for a preventive hold departure order (PHDO) on the suspects.
“We will study if there is a basis to anticipate that any of them might leave the country, or if there is that danger, then the prosecutors handling the case can apply for a PHDO,” he said.