Now Reading
Prosecutor says ex-Albay gov not part of quarry raps
Dark Light

Prosecutor says ex-Albay gov not part of quarry raps

Avatar

LEGAZPI CITY—The chief prosecutor of Albay has clarified that former Gov. Noel Rosal was not included in the charges related to alleged irregularities in quarry permits in the province.

In a private message on Thursday, provincial prosecutor Willy Guerrero told the Inquirer that only engineer Clemente Ibo was named in the official recommendation submitted by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for the filing of criminal charges.

Guerrero said the report, which appeared in the Inquirer and the website abogado.com.ph, was inaccurate and that no direct evidence was found linking Rosal to the alleged irregularities.

He stressed that Ibo, the officer in charge (OIC) provincial engineer during Rosal’s term, was the only individual identified in the NBI’s findings.

In a telephone interview on Thursday, Rosal reiterated that he was not included in the case.

Rosal, who is running for governor in the May 12 elections, said the report linking him to alleged irregularities was “part of a demolition job.”

The NBI’s investigation stemmed from the discovery of fake quarry delivery receipts by provincial engineer Dante Baclao in December 2022.

Delivery receipts

The investigation revealed that the receipts were allegedly issued by the Environment and Natural Resources Office under Rosal’s administration and used by quarry operators from July to November 2022.

Ibo took control of the delivery receipts, although no formal order was given for him to do so.

Rosal was elected mayor of Legazpi City in 2001 and served consecutive terms until 2010. His wife, Geraldine, succeeded him in 2010 and 2013. He later returned to office, running unopposed in the 2013 mayoral race.

In 2022, Rosal ran for governor under the banner of Katipunan ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino and defeated reelectionist Gov. Al Francis Bichara.

However, Rosal’s term was cut short when the Ombudsman issued a resolution on Aug. 29, 2024, dismissing him from service and permanently barring him from holding any public office.

See Also

He was found guilty of grave misconduct and oppression in relation to the illegal reassignment of three government personnel. The ruling stated that he violated Civil Service Commission rules, which affected the provincial government’s operations.

Despite his dismissal, Rosal, in October last year, filed his candidacy for governor in this year’s midterm elections on May 12.

On Dec. 27 last year, the Commission on Elections disqualified Rosal from running for governor, but the ruling was blocked by a temporary restraining order issued by the Supreme Court on Jan. 21 this year.

CORRECTION AND APOLOGY

The news report titled ‘’NBI recommends raps against ex-Albay gov over quarry receipts,” which appeared in this section on April 3, turns out to be incorrect.

As clarified by the Albay provincial prosecutor on Thursday, the National Bureau of Investigation recommended the filing of charges only against former OIC provincial engineer Clemente Ibo. Former Governor Noel Rosal was not among those recommended to be charged.

We regret the lapses in the reporting, which went unchecked but with no intent to misinform and mislead the public, and sincerely apologize to former Governor Rosal and his family.

Have problems with your subscription? Contact us via
Email: plus@inquirer.com.ph, subscription@inquirer.com.ph
Landine: (02) 8896-6000
SMS/Viber: 0908-8966000, 0919-0838000

© The Philippine Daily Inquirer, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top