Ping rejects ‘ceasefire’ in Taguig probe; Alan denies making call
Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson on Thursday rejected an apparent attempt by mediators to broker peace between him and Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano, with whom he has been publicly feuding, saying there would be no “ceasefire.”
“CEASEFIRE MY FOOT! Anong uri ng tao ang magde-declare ng giyera, toy gun ang dala, at laway ang bala; pag na-confront ng bomba, magre-request ng ceasefire, pabulong pa? (CEASEFIRE MY FOOT! What kind of man declares war, armed with a toy gun and just his saliva for ammunition, then uses intermediaries to ask for a ceasefire when confronted by real bombs?” Lacson wrote on X.
He did not name names in his post but he had been engaged in a public spat with Cayetano.
The rift has prompted the former Senate blue ribbon chair to initiate an investigation into infrastructure projects in Taguig, the political bailiwick of Cayetano.
Evidence sent to Ombudsman
On Tuesday, Lacson announced that his office had turned over to the Office of the Ombudsman all the documentary and testimonial evidence they had gathered from his office’s investigation into infrastructure projects in Taguig.
He said they uncovered irregularities, including ghost projects, double appropriations and recycled photos from previously completed contracts used to bill and collect for new ones.
Cayetano has denied the allegations and described Lacson’s accusations as “general” and “sweeping.”
Cayetano also said he was prepared to answer the “malicious” accusations against him and that the public deserved to know the “whole truth” through the proper process.
Lacson said earlier he was going all out to defend his integrity after Cayetano crossed a line by insinuating that the increase in his net worth was questionable.
He maintained that his wealth grew through legitimate business in the three years he was not a senator. He added that integrity remains his most prized possession, being a legacy from his parents.
On Wednesday, Lacson said the public should await the next hearing of the blue ribbon committee where he will expose what his office found in Taguig.
Sen. Erwin Tulfo, panel chair, earlier accused minority senators of blocking the hearings. In response, Cayetano said, “Do you believe them?”
Late-night livestream
Cayetano did not respond to the Inquirer’s request for comment about Lacson’s latest pronouncements.
But in a Facebook livestream late Thursday, Cayetano denied that he sought a “ceasefire” with Lacson, saying the term did not come from him but from other senators.
He said some senators approached him to raise concerns over their feud, including a reminder that it could distract the Senate from other issues that needed attention.
Cayetano maintained that he was ready to face the allegations and respond when necessary.
He also accused Lacson of practicing what he called “KKK,” or “Kuyog, tapos Kaso, tapos Kulong (Gang up, file cases, jail).”
“Senator Lacson is among those who also practice that,” Cayetano said, criticizing the senator’s handling of the blue ribbon committee’s previous investigation.
Toward the end of the livestream, Cayetano thanked senators acting as “peacemakers,” saying the intention was to direct their disputes to the proper venue so Senate work would not be disrupted.
“They didn’t say to stop. They didn’t say anyone had no right to speak, nor did they call for a ceasefire. They only said that things should be handled properly,” he said.

