Now Reading
Burundi troops withdraw in eastern Congo
Dark Light
Make America Great Alone
Never too old 
Time famine 
License
Arrested development
Talk of the Town: Duterte at the ICC
Oh, Philippines, the spectacle that you are
Is running bringing out the worst in people?
Three brides, three seasons of becoming
When the city starts to hum
The bandage dress is making a comeback

Burundi troops withdraw in eastern Congo

Reuters

Burundi is withdrawing its forces from eastern Democratic Republic of Congo where they had been fighting against M23 rebels, four sources said on Tuesday, in a further blow to Congo’s army as it struggles to halt a rebel advance.

But a spokesperson for the Burundian military dismissed reports of the ongoing pull-out as “fake,” and said in a post on X that his country’s soldiers were “continuing to execute their missions in their areas of responsibility” in Congo.

The pull-out came as the United Nations human rights office accused M23 rebels of executing children in eastern Congo during their advance, which has seen the group seize the region’s two largest cities.

See Also

“A number of trucks filled with (Burundian) military arrived in the country since yesterday” through a border post, a Burundian army officer said, confirming movements also described by two UN sources and an African diplomat.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Have problems with your subscription? Contact us via
Email: plus@inquirer.net, subscription@inquirer.net
Landline: (02) 8896-6000
SMS/Viber: 0908-8966000, 0919-0838000

© 2025 Inquirer Interactive, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top